Dr Matei Cirstea will present at the Workshop on the Use of Absorbable Polymers for Medical Devices, held on January 20-21 2021. This workshop is sponsored by ASTM Committee F04 on Medical and Surgical Materials and Devices and will be held virtually by WebEx.
Objective and Scope
First introduced 50 years ago in the form of synthetic absorbable sutures, absorbable medical devices are an increasingly important segment of the medical device market. Driven by numerous companies seeking to grow their market position through introduction of new absorbable products, the last decade has produced the greatest growth and variety in product development and market introductions. However, these devices, which by their very nature are not stable, present unique challenges in device development, manufacturing, and packaging.
This workshop is designed to describe current and upcoming applications and trends in the use of absorbable polymers in medical devices, as well as to provide a forum to discuss the special considerations required of this this material set. Ultimately, the workshop’s goal is to identify current issues (both technical and clinical) and identify related needs for new standards that both guide and address these absorbable-specific considerations. Consequently, researchers, regulators, and industry representatives are encouraged to submit abstracts describing their work towards designing, developing, and/or evaluating partially or entirely absorbable medical devices. Specific topics of interest and potential standards development activities include:
- Chemical (e.g. molecular weight), biological (e.g. biocompatibility), and physical (e.g. crystallinity) evaluation of absorbable polymers and devices
- Storage and preservation of absorbable polymeric products
- Use and risks of additives in absorbable polymeric products
- New materials development
- Accelerated and Real Time shelf stability challenges
- Accelerated and Real Time degradation modeling challenges
- Sterilization considerations and challenges
For further information or partnership opportunities, please contact us.
We look forward to meeting you there.